skip to main content

For International Travel

What Do I Need?

International Travel

To visit Canada, all travelers must meet some basic requirements:

  • Have a valid travel document, such as a passport.
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
  • Explain to an immigration officer that you have ties, such as a job, home, financial assets or family, that will take you back to your home country.
  • Explain to an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit.
  • Have enough funds for your stay.
  • The amount of money you will need can vary. It depends on things such as how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives.

Travel From US to Canada

U.S. Citizens traveling to Canada do not require a visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter. If you fly to or transit through a Canadian airport you will need to travel with a valid U.S. passport.

If you will be entering Canada from any other means of transportation, please visit the Canada Border Services Agency for additional travel information.

If you are a United States citizen, be sure to carry proof of citizenship, such as a passport, along with photo identification. If you are a permanent U.S. resident, carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

International Travel to Canada

The first step to traveling to the Canada from abroad is to determine if you need a Visa or an (eTA).


If you need an eTA, you should:

  • apply online;
  • get it when you plan your trip – do not wait for the last minute to apply; and
  • travel to Canada with the passport you used to get your eTA.

If you need to apply for a business visa:

  • You can choose to apply online or through a paper application.
  • If you need assistance, you can get help with your application at your nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC).


If your visa application is denied, please inform ASCE in writing that you wish to cancel your registration. You have to attach a copy of your visa denial.

A full refund will be issued if the cancellation notice is received by the registration refund deadline of June 26, 2018. No refunds will be made for cancellation requests received after that date. Send cancellation requests to Registrations or fax to +1 (866) 902-5593.

Please file your visa paperwork as far in advance as possible to be eligible for a refund.

ASCE cannot intervene on behalf of the invitees with the Government of Canada by fax, phone, surface mail, or email. The Government of Canada provides information on traveling to Canada regarding passports, international travel, and visas.

Letter of Invitation

Registration must be completed and paid in full before a Letter of Invitation may be requested. A copy of your registration payment receipt must accompany your request.

Please be ready to provide your complete official name, date of birth, physical address, email address, and passport number (if available).

Request a Letter of Invitation

The Letter of Invitation will ONLY be sent by email to the email address that you provide.

If you have any questions about Letters of Invitation, please contact us at [email protected].

jump to top